Moon Township was incorporated in 1788 and was the first township in Alegheny County, Pennsylvania.
The lamp of knowledge represents our involvement with education with our excellent school system and Robert Morris University located here in Moon.
The S.A.C. emblem signifies the 171ST air refueling wing of the PA. Air National Guard and the 911TH Air Force Reserve Air Wing located in the township at the Pittsburgh International Airport.
The fort represents Fort Vance, which was built along the Ohio River during our early history.
The symbols of the English and French represent our earliest settlers in the area of Moon Township.
The "Welcome" was the name of the ship that brought William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania, to the commonwealth in October of 1682.