House Watch - Vacation Check
If you are planning to be away from home for an extended period of time you can place your home on the Moon Township Police house check list. This does not replace other security measures that should take to protect your home. It does inform our officers that you are away and when possible they will check the exterior of your residence to ensure that it is secure. Vacant homes for sale or remodel can also be placed on the list.
To place your home on the house check, do the following
- Call our dispatch the day before or a short time before the house will be vacant.
- Provide the date the house will become vacant and the date of your return to the house.
- Provide an emergency contact person and phone number that we can contact if problems are found.
- Provide us with any special circumstances such as vehicles that will be left in the driveway or persons who may be checking or working in residence periodically, etc.
- Be sure to call and cancel your house from the list as soon as someone returns to the residence.
to help prevent crimes against your home while you are away
- Leave blinds open in their usual position.
- Have mail and packages picked up, forwarded or held by the post office.
- Lower the sound of your telephone ringer and answering machine so they can't be heard outside.
- Stop newspaper deliveries.
- Arrange to have your lawn mowed in summer and your walk and driveway shoveled in winter.
- Ask a friend to pick-up "throw-away" newspapers and circulars
- Use automatic timers to turn lights on and off in various parts of the house at appropriate times.
- Consider connecting a radio to a timer.
- Tell dependable neighbors when you plan to be away and join with your neighbors to keep a close watch on what's happening in your area working closely with them is a good way to prevent crime.