Moon Township was incorporated in 1788 and was the first township in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.
The Lamp of Knowledge represents our involvement in education with our excellent school system and Robert Morris University which is located here in Moon.
The S.A.C. (Strategic Air Command) once denoted the USAF Nike Ajax missile silos which were present in Moon near Nike Road. The symbol now pays tribute to the 171st Air Refueling Wing of the PA Air National Guard and the 911th Air Force Reserve Air Wing located in the Township at the Pittsburgh International Airport.
The fort represents Fort Vance, which was built along the Ohio River during our early history.
The symbols of the English and French represent our earliest settlers in the area of Moon Township.